Roleplaying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darker than Black

2 posters

Go down

Darker than Black Empty Darker than Black

Post  Lachryma Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:14 pm

10 years ago, in the year 2012, back when the sky was still real, there appeared a strange source of power that people called "hell's gate". Around the same time, the stars in the sky disappeared and people with odd abilities, called "contractors" began appearing. The government, determining that the gate was harmful to humans, evacuated the residents of the are and constructed a wall around it. This didn't not however stop the flow of energy or the increase of "contractors". Seeking to control the flow of new contractors, the government began monitoring the new stars, each one being a physical representation of a contractors power. They also suppressed the information about contractors from the general public, hoping to stop people from entering into contracts. Hence, all that remains is rumors about these strange people.

Our story centers around a group of assassin's for hire that happen to be contractors. A word on contractors: each contractor has one set power that they can use. After they use their power they must pay a price that has been set when they made a contract. Also, there are certain people called "dolls" whose power is simply to send out "specters" to observe places. They can only be sent when in contact with a certain substance and can only send their specters to other instances of this substance. These specters are only visible to other dolls and to contractors, but cannot normally be interacted with. A doll can only have one substance that they can ever observe through. Also, dolls have no emotions and contractors strongly suppress their own, tending more toward logic. Submit your characters here and I will approve of the power and price.
Lachryma
Lachryma

Back to top Go down

Darker than Black Empty Re: Darker than Black

Post  Looney Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:47 am

i already made the character bio, just read it, i made sure to balance him out

Name: Nikolaevich Graves (Nik)
Alias: Blackhole
Appearance: Sleepy Head
He's about 5'10 ft tall skinny and looks frail under his clothing. He does have a nice lean body beneath clothing but that is due to him working out (as much as he can handle) and never consuming any fat. His eyes are an odd reddish brown color and his hair is a mixture of silver and white. Usually dressed very simply and casually.

Species: Contractor

Power: Void Dimension
Ranked one of the most dangerous Contractors. His powers are immense and have close to a 100% perfect defense/offense. He has the ability to create a void, or a dimensional vortex to absorb any harm directed at him or anyone else. With this he can either just nullify that attack or rip open another dimension and rebound the attack at the attacker or anything he wants. And he returns the attack 2 fold. He can also uses these voids as his own personal storage, capable of holding anything and he can draw whatever he stuck in there when he needs it. Another thing he can do with his voids is use them as portals to transport him and others from place to place. And with his dimensions he can appear at the most random places, like the side of a wall or from the ground though he has to be careful when he uses this power for he could end up hurting himself. There is no limit to the size or to the amount that his voids can absorb, but he controls how much to rebound as if he absorbs too much, the energy level that comes out is probably enough to destroy a small town, but he keeps a leash on his powers. At times his powers will manifest on their own without his conscious thought. When he is vulnerable or asleep and his body senses danger, his voids will unconsciously awaken and protect his body.

Obeisance (Price):
Loss of ability to digest solid substance over time. Survives on liquid diet. Is anemic so he basically lives like a vampire, drinking blood to regain iron levels and drinking liquids to survive. Inflicts self pain at times and blood is sometimes taken as a price but the wounds always heal up. Physically he is not that strong and his powers sap his strength so he basically relies on either defense or using the opponent's attacks against them. Is usually so drained that he sleeps for hours on end and is very lethargic when he awakes. Is prone to fainting or falling asleep when he doesn't have enough blood or hasn't drank enough fluids. Usually after he uses his powers he has a compulsion to cut himself and drink his own blood, or some kind of liquid. Has a tendency to act vampirish sometimes, such as wanting to bite people on their neck near their major vein and arteries. Canines have developed to sharp states due to this compulsion.

Personality:
Similar to most contractors, he has very little emotions, close to none though at times exhibits some, but at low levels. Laws, rules, norms have no meaning for him. Logic and rational reasoning motivates him to act and he never lets his emotions get the best of him, although afterwards he usually feels something, at times regret or sorrow, but never before he carries out his goal. But usually his regret or sorrow last at most 3 minutes and then he's back to his usual stoic state. He cannot be described as humane, for he isn't. He can kill without qualms and cares for himself as first priority. Very rarely will he even bother with others. Nik's life revolves around money, his jobs, survival. There is very little else he cares about. Quiet, intelligent and usually speaks in ways that leaves others confused. Blunt and speaks his mind, not caring if someone is hurt for that doesn't matter to him. Is able to fall asleep almost anywhere.

History:
A defect that was unable to become a doll. The rest of his history is unknown to him or to any others.

Extra:

-has no sense of modesty so at times will walk around the base nude nonchalantly
-will just stare at nothing and zone out
-visits hospitals to get packets of blood to drink
-has trouble forming bonds with anyone or thing, usually hangs around Van or is sleeping
-has excellent control of his powers unless he is just about to faint
-his price for hire is quite expensive, $250 starting price and $100 per hour he works (people still do though, so he's quite loaded)
-will at times sexually attack someone to satisfy lustful urges even though his brain doesn't really comprehend this, thankfully Van stops him
-has to drink constantly or he'll be very very listless; and has a very very high alcohol tolerance
-physically cannot digest solid food, will vomit if he tries to. his stomach rejects the idea of digesting solid mass
-body has been altered due to his powers and he survives on fluids perfectly fine, has no need to empty his bowel, only his bladder

Last edited by Looney on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Looney
Looney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lachryma Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:13 am

I think the payment is a little different than what I was intending. The only time someone needs to pay their cost is after they've used their power. Therefore, it should be something like having to smoke a cigarette, drink a certain soda, or sing a song and there were even ones like someone who had to eat the first flower they saw after they used their power, or to swallow a cigarette and cough it back up. Your cost spans their lifetime, which is not the point of the cost. Voids are a valid power , but it should never be powerful enough to destroy a city. His power should not amplify the output, just simply direct it back at the person. If you have any objection to my comments please let me know. Also, I don't quite understand his history? What does it mean by "he was unable to become a doll?" Once you've edited the bio, move this into the thread I'll make in the character bios section.
Lachryma
Lachryma

Back to top Go down

Post  Looney Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:41 am

about his history part, that is actually from the Darker than Black definition of a Contractor

I'm going to quote some things from the wikipedia of the series

Their incredible abilities, however, are gained at the cost of their humanity - Contractors are thus named because of an involuntary compulsion to "pay the price" each time their power is used, which can range from eating particular foods and completing meaningless tasks, to self-harm and having their bodies change in peculiar ways.

the payment had been to only drink and never eat, and it's gotten to the point where his body just physically changed to withstand the payment. And he was already anemic so that just adds to his problem. And if you look at the Darker than Black Character Mao, he was turned into a cat. So it depends on what kind of price you pay. If they have such a dangerous power, how could the price just be to drink a soda afterward? you get what I'm saying?

Nik's extreme power of void dimension takes tolls on his body, doing some frivolous action afterward would be too little. at first it was simply just to drink and never eat food, but it built up and after a long time changed his body

and the reason why i said he can double the attack back was because he's absorbed a lot of power into his voids. some of it he doesn't use all at once, so he adds absorbed energy together to rebound it, therefore making it stronger. i'll take the destroying the whole city out, maybe a small town

and this one

Contractors are individuals who have gained supernatural powers due to the appearance of the Hell's Gate and Heaven's Gate. In Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden it is revealed that Contractors are defects that emerge when humans are unable to become Dolls. The existence of Contractors is kept a secret from the general public by most governments around the world, but they are well-known to the higher echelons of society and in the criminal underworld. Contractors possess two other traits that give them a rather sinister reputation: the need to perform remuneration, which is a bizarre, obsessive compulsive "payment" for the use of their powers, and a generally pragmatic, Machiavellian world view. This is described by the Contractors themselves as a lack of emotion in general, but not much evidence exists to verify this claim. Many Contractors exhibit at least some forms of emotion, including love, joy, guilt, and sorrow.

that was the history part of his life, he really doesn't remember

Looney
Looney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lachryma Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Mao's case is special. He has no price because it is considered paid. He was once human but he lost his body, therefore he no longer has to pay a price. Many prices do in fact change the user indefinitely, but not on purpose. Like there is one kid who's price was that he couldn't use his legs for a time after he used his power, so he ended up just sitting in a wheelchair for his whole life to make it easier. You could make it to where his price has affected his body to make him unable to eat solids though? There are many prices that are so severe that they take a toll on the body in the long run. One person's payment was to break all their fingers themselves after they used their power. I had not gotten far enough in the series to discover that contractors are just defected dolls but since that's right that history can stay. I will agree with the doubling of the power and possibly destroying a small town though. There are some pretty dangerous contractors out there. I suppose if you are really set on that as his payment then you can have it, I just don't want every character's obeisance to be this dramatic.
Lachryma
Lachryma

Back to top Go down

Post  Looney Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:09 pm

lol don't worry Nik is the worst case, as you can see from him wanting to bite people's necks and rape ppl, but if i make any more they won't be that bad
Looney
Looney

Back to top Go down

Post  Lachryma Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Right. Then it's settled. We'll let him be as he is. This should make things interesting anyway.
Lachryma
Lachryma

Back to top Go down

Post  Looney Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:23 pm

lol of course. having a nude guy walking around nonchalantly or having Nik fall flat on his face sleep as soon as he takes one step inside the door, priceless. Very Happy
Looney
Looney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down